How do you know me?

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Another city in California remains in the “a rule of law” for immigration category

The residents from Escondido, California packed the City Council chambers to show their support for Arizona’s SB 1070 immigration law. The southern Californian residents wanted to challenge Councilmember Olga Diaz's attempt to chastise Arizona.

“Those who support Arizona outnumbered the opposition 10 to 1. It seemed that some of those in opposition had been ‘imported’ from outside Escondido to protest,” said Tisha Bennett of Escondido and founder of CERS. “Residents here agree with Arizona that the federal government has failed the American people.”


I, personally, don't have any problem with immigration - as long as it's done correctly. I am personally offended by those who sneak accross our borders, and then demand rights and entitlements as citizens. It's not unlike someone climbing in through my bathroom window at night and then sitting down at my table, complaining about what was served for breakfast! Would you welcome that kind of visitor?
 
My momma (the immigrant) taught me to come to someone's home only when invited, and to stay only as long as you're welcome. She also taught me that respecting my host and their home goes a long way toward extending your welcome and even being invited back.
 
 I know that this country was built by immigrants. My own mother immigrated here from Honduras back in the early 60's, and my father's grandparents (on both sides) immigrated from Canada, after coming over from Ireland and Germany in the 1880s.
 
I even spent time on the other side of the issue. I lived abroad (in Ireland) for four years. I knew it was time to come back to the stated when the company I worked for folded and moved back to England. As they were sponsor to my work permit, I couldn't stay unless I could find another employer to sponsor me. I knew my visa was running out, so I packed up my family, and all our belongings, and made the trip back BEFORE it expired.

No comments:

Post a Comment